One Sacrifice Can Make All The Difference

I once knew a guy that drank a 12 pack of Coke everyday. EVERYDAY!!!!
Personally the thought of drinking even one a day is enough to make me hurl but I really don't like soda (pop, whatever you call it). One day he realized it probably wasn't the most healthy thing to do so he cut back to two a day. It makes sense, if it's something you really like, you don't really want to give it up completely, just cut back. Guess what happened? He lost something like 25 pounds in a matter of about 2 months. Wow!

Let's do the math....12 Cokes at 143 calories each is 1716 calories a day. (That's my total daily allowance right there, but that's another story). When he cut back to 2, his Coke calorie intake went from 1716 to 286. That's a calorie savings of 1430 a day. Since we know that 3500 calories equals a pound, he would be able to lose almost a pound every two days if the rest of his diet remained the same and he didn't start taking in extra calories somewhere else.

Alcohol was where all of my extra calories were coming from. I didn't really eat much sweets and I'm not really big on fried foods so there wasn't a whole lot of other places to cut back on calories. I'll admit, I was able to put away a significant amount of alcohol calories each week. Not a very healthy habit on a few different levels.

Instead of cutting back, I quit completely. In the first two months, I lost 15 pounds. Over the course of the next 5 months I lost a total of 27 pounds. That's a lot! While I did try to improve my eating habits to include more veggies and fruits and increasing my exercise as well, the drinking thing was the biggest change that I made.

Most of the overweight people I know have one main weakness that they keep giving into regularly. French fries, dessert, soda, alcohol, ice cream. All of these are high in calories and more enjoyable than they are healthy. If you are looking for a way to impact or kick start your weight-loss program, this can be a biggie. It can also be the hardest thing to do.

Isn't that always the way? Some of the most beneficial rewards in your life are gained through sacrifice and hard work. Why can't it just be easy?

What is the one thing you could sacrifice in your diet that would probably cause you to lose weight? How hard would it be to give it up?

Try the Calorie Counter at MyFoodDiary.com

0 comments

Disclaimer

The contents of this site are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Always seek the advice of your physician, or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of content found on this site.