Going Against My First Instinct

Awhile back I was complaining because my knee hurt. It hurt so bad I pretty much stayed off of it for a whole week. It was weird, most of the time it was fine but then other times it was throbbing, aching and every so often a very sharp pain would shoot through it bringing tears to my eyes. I made an appointment with my Doctor but the soonest I could get in to see him was December 13th. This was in late October.

Since it hurt so bad and I couldn't wait, I started looking around on the internet. I really didn't find anything helpful. Nothing that seemed to fit what was going on with my knee exactly....some of it was close. Mostly the advice was to stay off of it, put ice on it etc. etc.

Since the symptoms didn't match anything I was reading, I really made a focused effort to fully experience what was going on as I had these brief attacks of pain. I have a very thorough description to give my doctor when I finally get there but guess what? It quit hurting. Guess when it quit? When I started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Hmmmm. It seems starting a strength training program would be the last thing you would want to do when your knee hurts but I guess not.

When the pain was at it's peak was when I was sitting around whining about it and "resting" it. That was not doing me any good. I don't know if ice would have helped. I didn't have any swelling. I had the feeling that the reason my knee was hurting was because it wasn't strong enough. I had started running (if you can call 10 minutes on the treadmill running) when I first noticed the pain. It still doesn't explain why it was so sporadic; I'll let my doctor figure that out but it doesn't hurt anymore and that's all I was really concerned about.

I'll give an update after I finally make it to the doctor. I'm interested to see what he has to say.

0 comments

Disclaimer

The contents of this site are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Always seek the advice of your physician, or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of content found on this site.