13 Week Walk/Run Program - Week 2 - Day 3

Today's objective: Run 2 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 10 times.

Today was the last day of week 2 of the 13 week walk/run program and I'm still feeling quite motivated. I even got up at 5am on my day off to run.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm really running. I feel so slow. I'm assuming that as I get stronger I will be able to increase my speed as well. One of these days I need to spend some time on the treadmill to calculate my pace, I'd like to know how much distance I'm covering.

Recently an acquaintance of mine mentioned that she was going to start the Couch to 5k program. I told her that I had started the 13 week walk/run program and that I was enjoying it. She commented that she didn't think she would ever enjoy running. I got to thinking more about it as I was training this morning and I identified what parts I like:

  • The time by myself
  • Doing something healthy for myself
  • The feeling of accomplishment
  • Being outdoors
  • The time to think
This was really the first training session where I wasn't so focused on the activity itself that I was able to think about other things. I can see where experienced runners would feel refreshed mentally as well as physically when they are done. It's kind of a meditation.

The climate here is very warm. Even at 5am it's somewhere around 75 degrees consistently. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. I can't even imagine running during the day when it's 87 degrees so early morning or late evenings are your only real options unless you don't mind the heat. One advantage is that I never have the cold as an excuse to skip training. This morning I found myself imagining I was back in a cooler environment, running in the snow even.

I was born breech (rear end first with feet up by my head) and it affected my legs causing me to walk with my feet turned outward all my life. This has never really caused me any problems unless I try to run.  This morning my knee started bugging me  but I was able to focus on my foot placement and it stopped. I'm hoping over time that this doesn't take so much concentration.

So, two weeks in and I'm very pleased. I would highly suggest this program to anyone wanting to learn to run.

Try the Calorie Counter at MyFoodDiary.com




Buy the Gymboss Interval Timer

0 comments

Disclaimer

The contents of this site are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Always seek the advice of your physician, or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of content found on this site.