Sugar Free - What Does it Mean?

So I've decided to go sugar free for the month of January. I'm mulling it over in my mind already because I need to wrap my mind around it, prepare, and absorb the idea. That's just the way my brain works.

I know this is going to be a hard one. I've had at least one dessert/sweet/candy of some kind every day since I quit drinking. My theory behind this is that I was getting a lot of sugar in alcohol and I've been craving it ever since.

While researching recipes for sugar free desserts I found a few that had Cool Whip in them. Cool Whip? Isn't that just whipped sugar? I started doing some checking and this is what I found: Cool Whip is made of water, corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated coconut and palm kernel oil (CPKO), sodium caseinate, vanilla extract, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60 (glycosperse), and beta carotene. Yum?

Ok, sugar isn't specifically listed here but corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup are almost synonymous with sugar, aren't they? I found a good article called High fructose corn syrup vs pure sugar is one worse than the other? It discusses the fact that they are both sweeteners whereas sugar is natural while high fructose corn syrup is not due to the processing it goes through. But in essence, it's sugar and I am going to exclude it during my 31 days sugar free.

Wish me luck. I think this will be harder than quitting drinking in a way. With drinking, there were obvious negative drawbacks such as hangover, difficulty getting motivated in the morning, etc. that you don't have with sugar. It's just good.

I may have to employ the same tactics I used for quitting drinking though. If you are interested in the method I used please visit this website. The information provided made it practically easy to quit a very destructive 20 year problem that I had. I know it can help anyone with an open mind and a real desire to quit any bad habit. Like sugar.



Try the Calorie Counter at MyFoodDiary.com



3 comments

Blogger said...

Good luck! I quit eating sugar about 9 years ago. It is a hard process, but very worth it.

Rebecca said...

Did you have any side effects? Is 31 days long enough to see the benefits?
Thanks for the encouragement!

Blogger said...

You know, I phased things out over time, so I what I remember most are the psychological struggles. Hearing the sound of a coke can opening was really hard for me for a while. It's hard to get healthy food on the go, so I learned to bring snacks with me instead of caving in to vending machine goodies. I still occasionally crave sugar when I'm stressed and hungry, so I try to keep myself from getting to the point of no return.
I felt the benefits almost immediately, but I'm unusually sensitive to sugar. Ymmv.

Disclaimer

The contents of this site are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Always seek the advice of your physician, or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of content found on this site.