I'm going to try being a vegetarian

For years I have been tossing around the idea of becoming vegetarian. I am not driven by the passionate beliefs of ending cruelty to animals or any kind of spiritual reasons, more out of curiosity and for the potential health gains. I do have to say, if I were required to kill and process my own meat, I would have become vegetarian long ago. The first time I pulled the skin off of a chicken almost put me over the edge!

Meat is not a huge part of my current diet. Many times my meals are vegetarian anyway. Why haven’t I tried being a vegetarian already? I don’t know for sure but I get a pretty intense craving for a big fat cheeseburger every couple of weeks that I think has something to do with it. Another reason is because it’s easy. When you are cooking for a family of meat eaters it’s easier to just eat what everyone else is eating.

While I’m not sure I will be a vegetarian forever, I have decided to give it a try.

One of the most inspiring writer/bloggers I’ve ever run across is Steve Pavlina. Steve is a personal development guru and one of the techniques he employs on a regular basis is the 30 day trial. Any time he wants to know how a new diet, lifestyle change or habit will impact his life, he tries it – for 30 days. The idea behind it is that it’s temporary but it’s also long enough that you should be able to see results that help you in your decision of whether to make it long term or not.

Tomorrow, October 20th will be the first day of my 30 days as a vegetarian. In its most basic form, being a vegetarian means not eating meat. If that’s all I manage to do for the next 30 days, I will have accomplished my goal. I do intend to try and follow the “eat like a King at breakfast, a Prince at lunch and a pauper at dinner” way of eating as well. This has always made sense to me but is totally opposite from the way I have been living. That part will be more difficult so I am not going to make it officially part of my 30 day goal, I’m just going to try and fit it in if I can.

I will be posting the details of this experiment each day, including what I eat, how many calories, my activities of the day and an assessment of how I feel mentally and physically as well. I think this data will be important in making an informed decision. It will help me (and you) see whether this is a good fit or me and whether it’s something I should continue after the trial is over. I also plan to share some of the recipes I end up using. If you have a good vegetarian recipe, please share it with me! I could use the help.

I hope you join me over the next 30 days and check back often to see how it’s going. Maybe you will even try your own 30 day trial or other short term goal. If you do, please share it with us in the comments.

0 comments

Disclaimer

The contents of this site are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Always seek the advice of your physician, or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of content found on this site.